Monday, May 21, 2012

Jobs get you jobs.

I got a new job! Yay!

I always feel really blessed with my job searches because it seems like I get jobs when I'm not looking for one, not when I actually am actively looking for one. Case in point: at the end of fall semester last year, I applied for a few jobs and the only thing I got was a job to work at the cafeteria, which I didn't really want (not that there's anything wrong with working at a cafeteria!). Then a day before winter semester, I got an email from a political science professor, saying that my PL SC 150 (Comparative Politics) professor had recommended me as a TA. Evidently he was pretty desperate for a TA, because he hired me before he even met me.

Then last week I was sitting in PL SC 150 as a TA, when someone started making an announcement about a research team on campus; since my job only lasts until the end of spring, I thought I'd better listen up. He said he works with the BYU Political Economy and Development lab in conjunction with an organization called AidData, which basically works to increase transparency and accessibility of international aid data. Since he announced that they were looking for new research assistants, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to check it out. I emailed the lady in charge of it, met up with her a few days later, handed her my resume, and sent her my transcript, and she hired me! It was great! Also...I had written up my resume just one day previously for a class assignment, so all I basically had to do was hand her my homework and I got the job :)

Since I don't actually start training until the end of spring term, I'm still not sure exactly what I'll be doing. It seems like the gist of what I'll be doing is what Wikipedia calls "geocoding," which is where I'll look through databases and records of international financial aid reports and code where exactly everything went, which will then show up on a map so that it's easy to see where the finances are going.

Anyways, here's a link to the research group I'll be working with: PEDL..and the AidData organization: AidData...and I like Wikipedia so I'm including it here for kicks: Wikipedia

I'm a little nervous because it's going to be a lot of time and work, but hopefully it'll be a good experience! :)

One more thing...since I love pictures but I don't really have any for this post, I decided to post a picture of these absolutely adorable African children! I know we'll work a lot with aid that goes to African countries, so I figured it was relevant enough (plus I just really really love African children...)

2 comments:

  1. You're going to end up marrying some hot black man. And I wouldn't be surprised. :-)

    ReplyDelete