Monday, August 12, 2013

dun dun dun. another one bites the dust

Let's just pretend that MoTab sang that song [referring to the title of this post], and then it'll still be kosher for me to quote, yeah? :)

Thanks again for all your letters. You seriously make me feel so loved!!! I'll try to respond to them separately, that might be easier. Still trying to figure out what works best :) 

Events:
      We had two service projects, which was a lot of fun. We worked on fixing up/cleaning up a sister in our ward's house on Wednesday, which is where I live. On Saturday we pulled weeds - huge, as-tall-as-we-are weeds - along with some members, for their neighbor, a non-member. I enjoyed working with them and talking with the 14-year-old daughter while weeding :) They got us pizza afterwards, which was fun.
      We had zone training on Thursday, which was really good and inspiring. I am trying to improve at being 100% focused on my purpose as a missionary. That's hard because sometimes as we're walking a ton, my companion and I start talking about other things not super related to our purpose/missionary work at all, and I think maybe we shouldn't, but I also don't want to shut her off or whatever and also feel like it's important to just love and build relationships. So, trying to find that balance. But I do feel like we grew a lot closer this week! We are laughing more and so that has been good :)
      There was another Marshallese party, which all the missionaries are always invited to, and we all go because it builds trust with that community. It was a 1-year-old party, which is huge for them (I think I explained that last week?). It's so funny. They party so hard - but almost always start hours later than they say. And I always miss the big celebration part of the party because it doesn't actually happen until after curfew haha!
       We tracted a ton this week. So much walking, so much sweating - haha I have never sweat so much in my life. It's been hot, but mostly it's been humid, and I have never felt sweat trickle down my back so much as i have this past week. So gross! This one Catholic lady we tracted into wasn't interested, but she offered us a drink because we looked so dead haha. All she had was Coke. I didn't drink it all because that's gross, but I'm not going to lie - it was the best Coke I've ever had. We've been better at taking water bottles since then ;) Never in my life have I met so many church-going, stalwart Catholics! One thing I'm worried about with tracting though is our area is feeling smaller and smaller - we've already tracted probably most of it! And we don't remember what houses were home, etc., so we get stressed about knocking on the same doors again. Sometimes I wonder if we're doing something wrong because when we tell the elders in our ward how long we tracted for and how we haven't really even gotten any potential investigators, they're really surprised. They find a lot more people than we do. Hopefully things get better. We do chat with lots of nice people though, so I'm always grateful for that. And I'm improving my awesome tan lines haha. But, I still have my Hawaii swim suit lines a little, so that makes me smile! :)

Random:
*I dream about the mission every. night. It's kind of getting entertaining the stories I get to tell my comp in the morning!
*As part of my training, I'm senior companion for the week! It's kind of scary/stressful/weird.
*HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ON SATURDAY [Mom & Dad]!!! Oh how i love you two. I am SO grateful that you have such a strong marriage! Thank you soooo much!
*We're having exchanges this week with our sister training leaders! I'm excited. I need all the help I can get haha.

Spiritual:
*We had a great comp study yesterday :) like I said, I think slowly, we're building more unity and closeness! so happy about that.

*I absolutely love 2 Cor 12:9-10 
"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." 
and Alma 26:27-30! 
"Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success. And now behold, we have come, and been forth amongst them; and we have been patient in our sufferings, and we have suffered every privation; yea, we have traveled from house to house, relying upon the mercies of the World--not upon the mercies of the world alone but upon the mercies of God. And we have entered into their houses and taught them, and we have taught them in their streets; yea, and we have taught them upon their hills; and we have also entered into their temples and their synagogues and taught them; and we have been cast out, and mocked, and spit upon, and smote upon our cheeks; and we have been stones, and taken and bound with strong cords, and cast into prison; and through the power and wisdom of God we have been delivered again. And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some."
I love how the scriptures can apply to our lives so well, no matter where we are in life :) Also Ether 12:6 - 

"...I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith."

I feel like we're having a little "trial of faith" right now, so hopefully, we'll keep working and having faith and praying, and miracles will follow!

*Even when people refuse our message, when I testify, I am uplifted and my testimony builds. That is so cool! I need to be better at testifying more! And as I knock on people's doors, I'm trying to be better at just being happy and letting that happiness show through my excitement to share the gospel. 

*I am so grateful for my knowledge of this gospel and membership in this church! It is so true and so, so cool. I know that's a weird term to use, but it's true! I can't imagine what it would be like without having this knowledge. I am so thankful for it.

Hope you enjoyed the organization this week haha ;) Thanks for putting up with my emails and for always emailing me! I love you all so much, it's ridiculous :) 

Love,
Sis Whipple

No comments:

Post a Comment