Monday, July 14, 2014

put a shirt on, Iowa.

and pants too. I can understand no one wearing shirts with the muggy summers, but having to pass by an undie run on the way to church? Now that's just inappropriate hahaha

Hna Foster tried popping popcorn in an itty bitty frying pan. It did not go well hahaha
How was your week? Mine was...good! terrible! fun! tiring! haha...it was another week full of exchanges, and I got sick, but we taught 26 lessons, which was awesome!! And three investigators came to Sacrament Meeting - yay!!! And I am super excited because tomorrow is zone conference and Friday we're going to pageant (!!!!) :)

Anyways, I'm just going to go through my week again. Sorry if that's boring :)

Monday: Sat in the dentist office for 2 hours. It felt weird being in the waiting room by myself without a companion haha! Served food at the YMCA, and had coordination with our Ward Mission Leader (WML), who finally returned from a trip. We loved having him back...and then he got released yesterday to serve in the bishopric haha. So we don't have a new WML yet, but it will be my 5th one! Long live Brother P., the most hipster WML yet.

 that one time we had Spanish, Twi, and Thai copies of the BoM to give away :)
Tuesday: Actually this was kind of a turning point day for me...I had really been struggling with Sister Dixon leaving and everything, and just feeling really bogged down and stressed. In my studies, I read in Helaman 10, and verse 4 especially stood out: 

"thou hast with unwearingness declared the word...and hast not sought thine own life."

For some reason it was just a perfect reminder to me that I needed to forget myself and go to work, and to serve with unwearingness - and that Heavenly Father will bless me for it. I really needed that :) Especially since Sis Dix left me that day and went to Lamoni without me haha. So Hna Foster and I covered the area again. We found a new investigator. We definitely found him outside next to a less-active member smoking her cigar haha. But it was fun teaching him while it lasted! We also met with some other less-actives, had supper with Hna Amaya from the branch, and met with an AWESOME family, who are new investigators of the hermanas! They have two girls (like 11 and 15 or something around those ages) and have come to church several times and love it. It was fun to be there teaching that whole family, even though I wasn't able to contribute much. I slept over at the hna's apartment.

Cute Sister Shelley at the mission office (one of my favorite things about being in Des Moines :) )
Wednesday: When Sis Dix returned in the afternoon, we went to the Iowa Genealogical Society and got to volunteer there for a bit, which was fun! We also taught a lesson, had supper with the Allen's (Sis Allen's Thai and let us try jackfruit, which was delicious!), and then had a super cool experience trying to contact a referral! She was a referral from the elders in West DSM, and they've been trying to contact her since before I got here. We were about to give up for a while, but decided to try one more time since we knew she didn't work Wed or Thurs. When we went, she was home and came outside and let us teach her, and we invited her to be baptized and she said yes (once she receives an answer to her prayers, etc.)! She is Sudanese, is 18 and just graduated from high school, and is really smart and polite and good at English (which is a relief haha). 

Sister Allen with Kingfruit

Thursday: Had district meeting, after which the elders really wanted to go to a Chinese buffet for lunch. I drug (dragged?) my feet because I always feel sick/too full after eating at those, but they really wanted to so I went. Guess what? I got super sick that evening haha...it was miserable, and honestly I don't know if it was from the food because it didn't seem like food poisoning, but either way it was kind of funny (slash ridiculous!). Luckily I was able to make it through the day. Sis Dix had exchanges again and brought one of the other sisters to our area (they had a church tour with Receva and set a baptismal date with her for August 16!!!), so Hna Foster and I focused more on the hermana's area. I went to bed early that night, feeling super sick.

Des Moines River
Friday: Threw up in the morning. Yeah, that was fun haha. Pretty sure I had a fever all night, I felt awful. We ended up staying in for most of the day. I've never had a sick day before on my mission and I kept trying to get up and work, but when I finally felt like maybe I had enough strength to take a shower at like 1pm, I barely made it and when I finished I just wrapped my towel around me and lay on the bathroom floor for a little before I had enough energy to get dressed and back into bed haha. Our companions were gone most of the day on exchanges and thankfully we didn't have any appointments until about 4, when I was able to go with Hna Foster to see some of her people until our companions came back. Sis Dixon and I had one appointment, which I survived and was finally feeling a little better for. I slept much better that night and the next day (with just some mild queasiness and achiness the rest of the weekend).

Cute random Chinese thing
Saturday: Good day with a few good lessons, not much to report...except that a sweet member from the ward brought her adorable daughter (who's like 18 months) on a picnic with us at the park for our dinner appointment! I loved it.

Sunday: I spoke in church! My talk was on the covenant path. I used our hike in Hawaii along the lava fields as an analogy, with the mile marker lights being like our covenants on our journeys back home, which was kind of fun. I also used Sis Wixom's (Click here) and Pres. Eyring's (Click here) talks from the General Women's Conference, which were so great to read and study. A handful of investigators we are teaching came to church! After church we went to a sweet family's house, where we taught and set a baptismal date for September 13 :) She's so great! We taught her in the backyard and then had grilled pork chops for lunch. I also got 5 mosquito bites, including one on my lip (I have a fat lip now haha) and two other on my face, just in time for zone conference! Then later we contacted another referral who's also a new investigator! She's 16, Catholic, Nigerian, and her dad's an inactive member. She's great.

Hey Nathanael!! Happy half birthday on Friday ;)

I'm super grateful for scriptures and for prayer and for our covenants. I can't find it right now, but there's a quote I love by Elder F. Enzio Busche that goes something like,

 "Embrace each day with enthusiastic welcome. The covenant with God to which you are true enables you to become enlightened by Him, and nothing is impossible for you." 

It's true! I love you all!

Love,
Sister Whipple

No comments:

Post a Comment